Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Simple Cranberry Sauce

I made dinner tonight with ear plugs in. My husband is putting down our hard wood floor and the stapler noise is above loud. He started this evening before I had my ear plugs in place and I screamed at the first staple. 

Cooking with ear plugs sure is interesting. I had to take them out twice to taste something. I had to hear the sizzle of the pan to get the whole taste. Kind of like my Grandma I guess- she cant talk on the phone until she finds her glasses.

I was craving thanksgiving food so I made fried ham with a simple cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, creamed limas and spinach salad.

I am sharing the simple cranberry sauce recipe with you. It sure is tasty. I caught Josh eating it by the spoonful. This could be used on various meats.


  Cranberries make me happy. I love their flavor and color.


Simple Cranberry Sauce

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. salt
zest of one orange
12 oz. bag of fresh cranberries

In a small saucepan combine sugar, water, salt and orange zest.
Bring to a boil, stir in cranberries return to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until 3/4 of berries have popped open.
Remove from heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
If you want a thicker sauce just cook it longer.
It really thickens once it cools.

Cooks Illustrated recipe revised slightly.

Enjoy,
Hope

5 comments:

  1. First of all, I love your current header! Secondly, thanks for the simple little recipe. I will have to try it in November! I kind of like the stuff from a can, but last year after seeing that the first ingredient was high fructose corn syrup, I just *couldn't*. And just the other day I was thinking that I need to look for a recipe . . . so thanks for saving me the trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for Thanksgiving dinner!

    Might have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had to chuckle inside when you said you had to take the earplugs out to taste test. and then your grandma and the phone?! the cuteness!! i die.

    stopping by your blog tonight via bloglovin'. happy weekend friend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried this healthy food recipe two different ways, the original as written, and my way...which is half orange juice and half water. I find the orange flavor a bit overwhelming to the tart cranberries when you follow the recipe as written, however it is still very good!

    ReplyDelete